An upcoming motorway project will impact heavily on the existing walking and cycling path that runs alongside the Alexandra Canal – currently connecting Tempe and surrounding suburbs to Mascot and the Eastern Suburbs.
The NSW Government is working on a project called the Sydney Gateway – with the goal to facilitate freight travel to Sydney Airport and Port Botany (by avoiding local Mascot streets).
As part of this project, two major roads connecting St Peters interchange to Airport Drive and Qantas Drive will be constructed. (See the orange lines on the cover image).
WalkSydney, along with local bicycle groups, have started the Save Alexandra Canal Cycleway Change.org petition, to draw attention to this impact, connect the community, and ask for 3 specific commitments:
- A cycling and walking route along Alexandra Canal from Tempe Reserve to Coward St (equivalent to the existing facility, if not improved) during and after construction.
- A cycling and walking route linking the Alexandra Canal pathway with the Sydney Airport Domestic Terminal and Bayside Council’s proposed Eastern cycling network (Wentworth Ave, Mill Pond greenway, Foreshore Drive).
- A bicycle route linking the Alexandra Canal pathway to Sydenham Station and to Sydney Park.
This week, the concept design for the project was released, including the proposed replacement route, as well as an outline of temporary walking and cycling routes during construction.
You’ll notice that the temporary routes during construction are significantly longer than the existing route.
We encourage everyone to take a look at the Sydney Gateway community portal, especially:
And provide comment & feedback by Friday 21 June 2019.
If you prefer to provide your feedback in person, the team will also be out in the community for three information sessions:
- Saturday 1 June, 1pm – 4pm – Clock on/off Cafe, Tempe
- Thursday 6 June, 8am – 11am – Patchett’s Pies, Mascot
- Thursday 13 June, 4pm – 7pm – Rowers on Cook, Wolli Creek
This is a critical active transport link between the South/West and the East/into the CBD. It is important for the community to provide their comments and ensure the government commits to the best solution for people moving through this space, safely and easily.